Pectus Warriors Pre-op Trial
Surgery in the next few months? Start here. Be sure to watch each video before beginning the program.
Pre-op Training Overview
Choose Your Training Plan
Pick one of the three training plans below based on your level of experience with weight lifting and your access to gym equipment.
4-Days per week Training Program
Experienced in the gym and ready to push yourself? This is the program for you.
3-Days per week Training Program
Are you relatively new to exercise and weight lifting? This is the program for you.
• Begin each workout with the proper Pre-Op Warmup listed on the Pre-Op Mobility page
• Perform 1 exercise per category for each of the workout days
• Stick with the same exercises for at least 4 weeks, if not longer (we want time to improve on each exercise)
• Each exercise in the pdf has a video link of how to perform it properly (just click the exercise name). Reference these first!
• If the reps are too easy for body weight exercises then increase the reps until the sets become challenging.
• Finish each workout with the proper Pre-Op Cooldown listed on the Pre-Op Mobility page
• Get some movement in each day by performing the daily activities listed in the table below
Provide all of the necessary nutrients required to fuel the body for physical activity and daily life. Focuses will include protein intake, hydration, and forming good eating habits
• We will focus on eating high quality protein, complex carbs, healthy fats, and fruits & vegetables. The times that you eat and the number of meals you eat are up to you.
• The estimated amount of fats, carbs, and proteins you should consume in a day are listed in the chart and can be calculated exactly using the calculator in the excel sheet. Ideally try to consume +/-10g of each of the targets. ***Note: These can vary drastically from person to person. This is only a starting guideline.***
• Hydration is a major factor. Aim to consume at least 1/2 of your body weight in ounces per day (e.g. a 200lb person needs at least 100oz of water per day).
Nutrient Calculator (geared for muscle growth and weight gain):
Pre-op Mobility, Warm-up, Cooldown
Directions: Perform the warm-up before your workouts and perform the cooldown after your workouts. Use the stretches referenced in these videos for your “Daily Activities” work as well.
Mindfulness Meditation Practice
Mindfulness is something you want to begin cultivating daily. Being able to sit with yourself, feeling your body, and watching your thoughts, is something that takes a fair bit of practice. The time you invest in this practice pays itself off in the form of faster recovery, improved pain tolerance, and lower stress. Research has shown that patients who meditate improve in each of these areas more than patients who do not meditate. By taking this practice seriously, you will be actively working to speed up the recovery process and become much more mindful of the world around you. We will be using practices derived from Jon Kabat-Zinn’s book: Full Catastrophe Living (a great read if you wish to pursue a deeper understanding of mindfulness).
The brief instructions contained here are laid out in a simple manner, in order to help you build up meditation time over the coming weeks and months.
We begin with a body-scan meditation. This will allow you to tune into the feeling and aliveness of each bodypart. The more in-tune you are with your body, the more appropriately you will be able to respond to any pain or discomfort you encounter.
Download the stats page below so that you can keep track of these metrics each week. This will be very important for knowing how to adapt your plan overtime.
The information presented is not intended for the treatment or prevention of disease, nor is it a substitute for medical treatment, nor as an alternative to medical advise. This program is presented for information purposes, to increase the knowledge of individuals dealing with Pectus Excavatum. The program outlined herein should not be adopted without a consultation with your health professional. Use of the information provided is at the sole choice and risk of the reader. You must get your physician’s approval before beginning this or any other exercise or nutrition program. This information is not a prescription. Consult your doctor or dietitian for further information.
This Program may not be reproduced, transmitted, or recorded in any form without permission from the author.
Copyright 2021 HypertroFit LLC & Kyle Blandford
All Rights Reserved